We have turned the corner into the second half of 2019 with several Railroad Prototype Modeler (RPM) events ahead on the calendar. Let’s review the upcoming events.
- The St Louis RPM is a few weeks away on July 26 & 27 at the Gateway Convention Center in Collinsville, IL. This meet has grown to be one of the biggest in the country. Make your plans now!
- Bernie Kempinski and his troops have a strong slate ready for the Mid-Atlantic RPM, September 19 to 22 at the DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore near the BWI Airport.
- A brand new event is rolling in Milwaukee. The WISE Division RPM will be held September 21 at the Four Points Sheraton, Milwaukee Airport.
- Out west, the LA Area Prototype Modelers Meet will hold their second event on October 5, at the Encounter Christian Church in Bellflower, CA.
- Mike Skibbe and his minions have been prepping the RPM Chicagoland conference for October 24-26 at the Sheraton Hotel and Conference Center in Lisle, IL. This metro-Chicago event has been running for 26 years.
- Tony Sissons and crew are pulling details together for RPM Carolinas: School of Railway Prototype Modeling on November 8 & 9 in Winston-Salem, NC.
- Looking ahead to early 2020, Mike Brock and his team will kick off another year with Prototype Rails. The January date in Cocoa Beach, FL, will be announced soon.
Check the RPM Event Calendar for details and links to make your plans. Pack some completed or in-process models to display. I’ll be attending a few of these upcoming events. Maybe I’ll see you there!
Summer is winding down but the Railroad Prototype Modeler (RPM) season is heating up! There are seven RPM events in the upcoming months, plus Prototype Rails kicks off 2019. Let’s review the upcoming events.
Continue reading RPM Updates
The recent St. Louis RPM meet was well attended with more than 650 through the doors. Additionally, there were nearly 3000 wonderful models displayed. Bill Welch sent along his thoughts on the meet with a few photos. Links to photo galleries are posted at the end. Here’s Bill!
Here is my take on what I saw and heard at the St. Louis RPM. Bob’s Photo had about 20 binders that he characterized as new photos, both color and B&W, in addition to his usual array of old milk crates of photos sorted by railroad.
Continue reading St. Louis RPM summary
Planning for RPM events continues through the year. Mike Skibbe sent updates for the 2018 RPM Chicagoland meet. Dates are set for October 18 – 20, 2018. Here are some details Mike shared.
- Bon French, chairman of the Center for Railroad Photography & Art, will be the Thursday evening Banquet speaker.
- It’s the 25th anniversary of this RPM conference! There will be a special Friends of the Freight Car dinner and celebration with Tricia Lofton as honored guest.
- The 2018 mini-kit will be a Fruit Growers Express truss rod reefer
Registration is now live, so make plans to attend and bring your models to display!
Here’s the registration link.
Resin Car Works update for the RPM
The Resin Car Works minions have been busy prepping a new release for the 2018 RPM Chicagoland. An HO scale, 50-foot 10-foot 5-inch interior height, Soo automobile boxcar is in the works. These will feature new etched brass ladders from Plano Model Products. Decals and detail parts are in hand. The master patterns are complete and should be cast soon.
These Plano ladders will be available later this summer (2018). If they sell well, additional variations will be added to the Plano line.